Take a look at our top tips for Landlords and tenants alike! Landlords... secure your rent guarantee insurance with us!
Demand for rental homes has gone through the roof (sorry we couldn’t help it!) in our local area. We simply can’t get enough properties on the market for the number of available tenants. There’s no doubt about it, times are difficult for many of us, with employees on furlough and many facing redundancies, it is an uncertain financial time for a large number of people. In our previous blog, we spoke about the draw of the coastal part of Hampshire for homebuyers and, not surprisingly, we’re seeing the same effect in the rental market. The appeal of the coast, countryside, and the activities they have to offer seem to outweigh city living.
The Chancellor’s stamp duty holiday for purchases up to £500k has helped home buyers, but what does the rental market currently look like? Interestingly, according to research by CIA Landlord, Portsmouth is in the top 5 cities for profitability from Buy to Let in the UK. So, if you have money to invest, a Buy to Let property in coastal Hampshire might not be a bad idea!
Bearing in mind the demand for rental homes locally and the slim pickings for tenants, we’ve put together these tips to ensure that you’re the most appealing tenant!
- Have your financial records in order, wage slips, bank statements, and proof of ID ready to go
- Ensure that the money for your deposit and any upfront payment is available and doesn’t require a notice period for withdrawal
- Stop the bad habits. Smoking makes you a very unappealing tenant
- If you’re considering getting a pet, maybe think again. Some landlords don’t allow animals
- Keep a good credit record
Don’t hang around! Appealing properties fly off the market. Register with us for updates so that you can be one of the first to view: https://www.brambles-estateagents.com/contact-us.
From the other perspective, how can you, as a landlord, make your property more appealing to snare that ideal tenant?
- Make sure your property’s curb appeal is hooking the tenants before they even step through the door, weed that front garden, tidy the bins away, and clean the windows!
- Give the property a lick of paint to freshen it up. It’s amazing how much more appealing a light and airy space can be
- Cleanliness is important. Especially the kitchen and bathrooms, get polishing those taps!
- Add some fresh flowers and good lighting. This will instantly make a space appear bigger and more appealing
Above all, give us a call if you’re a landlord looking to rent out a property. We can give you lots of useful tips from our years of experience. Making your letting journey a smooth one. We're also one of the few local agents offering landlord rent guarantee insurance at this current time. You'll be pleased to know that our rates are very competitive and offer an extra level of reassurance in these difficult financial times. Pop in for a chat with Jemma, our lettings consultant. She’s sure to have the answers to all of your questions: 01489 536331.